In English we will cover a variety of spelling prefixes and suffixes as well as looking at directed speech, pronouns, relative clauses and plural nouns. We will link extended writing pieces to our Viking and Space topics. Our targets this term will be:
Our Maths will consist of daily practice of number fluency will take the form of times table tests, mental maths, maths skills practice using assertive mentoring materials.
We will look at:
We will continue to develop reasoning by looking at why questions are incorrect/correct and finding more than one solution for maths problems.
In History we will explore lots of aspects about the Viking invasions of Britain such as:
• Why did the Vikings leave their homelands?
• What made their longboats so successful?
• How did the Anglo Saxons interpret Viking raid?
• Why were Anglo- Saxon monasteries targeted by the Vikings?
• What artefacts did the Vikings leave behind?
• Who was King Alfred and why was he so important?
In Science will look at Space and understand the following:
• Why do we have day and night?
• Why do we have seasons?
• Why does it get darker in winter?
• Could an Asteroid destroy the Earth?
• How do we know that the Earth is spherical?
• How did Aldrin and Armstrong land on the moon?
• What is the Goldilocks planet?
• What are the pros and cons of space travel?
In Computing the children will continue to use Purple Mash and learn about E-safety and how to keep safe online. They will make a comic strip highlighting the dangers and how to counteract them. They will also look at the advantages of spreadsheets and how to use them.
In RE we will outline Jesus’ teaching on how his followers should live. We will look at differing interpretations of two of Jesus’ parables. They will have the opportunity to express their own understanding of what Jesus would do in relation to a moral dilemma from the world today.
In DT the children will design and make a Viking house. The work will cover the frames and structures part of the curriculum.